Restorative Dental Crowns, How They Can Benefit You
Dental crowns play an important role in restorative dentistry. They help repair worn, severely decayed, or injured teeth to preserve their usefulness. A dental crown can fortify a tooth that’s sustained severe damage or reinforce a weak or worn tooth to restore its function. Dental crowns from Ridgewood Dentistry can even save damaged teeth from extraction. You can learn more about dental crowns from your Ridgewood, New Jersey dentist, Dr. Warren Boardman.
Types of Tooth Crowns
Crowns are made from durable materials that can endure the test of time and withstand the pressure of biting and chewing. Some of the most common types of crowns are:
- Porcelain crowns
- Porcelain fused to metal crown
- Gold tooth cap and
- Zirconia crowns
Of these, porcelain crowns are the most popular as they’re durable, long-lasting, and exude a stunning, natural-looking appearance.
Benefits of Crowns and Dental Caps
Dental crowns also referred to as dental caps, are highly versatile due to their restorative properties. They can be used in numerous ways to protect, preserve, or improve your smile. Here are just a few:
- Fortify a weak or worn tooth – Worn teeth often have thin or weak tooth enamel prone to decay, chipping, or tooth sensitivity. Crowning a worn tooth strengthens its structure and protects the enamel from further erosion.
- Mend chipped, cracked, or broken teeth – Chipped, cracked, or broken teeth compromise your smile’s appearance and tooth functionality. If too much pressure is placed on a fractured or broken tooth, it could crumble. A dental crown will sustain a broken tooth’s structure and protect it from further damage so that you can use it as usual. The crown will also conceal the damage to improve your tooth’s appearance.
- Restore severely decayed teeth – Dental crowns can restore severely decayed teeth to avoid extraction. Dr. Boardman will remove the decay and cover the tooth with a crown to restore its usefulness.
- Complete a restorative treatment – Dental crowns are also used to complete other restorative treatments like root canal therapy and dental implants.
To learn more about our dental crown treatments, contact Ridgewood Dentistry, Ridgewood, NJ, at (201) 448-8605.